Just when I thought that my first week as a 21-year-old couldn’t have gotten any better, following last week’s news, I come bearing another great announcement to share with you, dear readers!
Last Wednesday I received an e-mail from the Malta Football Association director, where he said that I’ve been nominated to represent Malta in the forthcoming Gothia Cup, which will be held this July, in Gothenburg, Sweden. I will also be accompanied by three colleagues of mine on this fantastic adventure.
For those who don’t know what this competition is, I’ll let you in on some facts about it:
- The Gothia Cup is the world’s largest and most international youth football tournament
- it was first held in 1975
- each year, around 1600 teams from 80 nations take part
- 4500 games are played on 110 fields
- and it’s a meeting place for the world’s youth, irrespective of religion, skin color or nationality, with football as the common denominator.
Yes. It is that huge of a tournament!
As you can imagine, I was so ecstatic after having received such a prestigious, possibly-once-in-a-lifetime opportunity. I simply couldn’t turn it down!
So, this July (a month after saying ‘Hola’ to Tenerife), I’ll be saying ‘Hallå’ to Gothenburg! 🇸🇪
I am certain that this truly unique experience will be memorable, and eye-opening on so many different levels! I’m also really looking forward to meet new people, and make new friends; be they players, coaches, or other fellow match officials. Ultimately, we will all be there sharing our love and passion for the one big thing we have in common – football. The beautiful game.
For more info on the Gothia Cup, head over to http://www.gothiacup.se/ .
– Preston Carbonaro